complete disaster

For Kaidan, I had found this patchwork blanket by Bernat Design Studio on Ravelry…  All excited about this new venture,  I went to a small local shop – Needle Nook – to purchase the same colors as showed on the picture.  Well good luck with that … Instead, I came back home with a small fortune of Plymouth Yarn in green, grey and cream.  A lovely combination for a little boy.

Playing around, I first struggled to place the colors in the right sequence. Luckily, Arno came to the rescue and, even draw the pattern on a piece of paper for future use.

Well as easy as it seemed,  this project became quickly a nightmare for the beginner I was.

At the time, I was still at my early stages of crochet.  My art was pretty uneven, the number of requested stitches were usually inaccurate.  And creating exactly the same squares was not my cup of tea.  After a few attempts of following the instructions, I decided to work by row of squares and to make it my ‘own’ by joining them with a ‘spike‘ stitch.  At the end, I would only have to join the lenght of the stripes to make the blanket.

To add to the pain, my work having been interrupted numerous times and, with some memory loss, I started to use different hooks (3) for this project. The result turned into a true catastrophe.  Disappointed and frustrated, as there was no way for me to start over, I decided to turn the stripes into scarves (see other blog post on that topic).

Anatomy of the disaster

  • hook (supposed to be a 10 mm)
  • Plymouth yard ‘Encore Chunky’ 75% acrylic, 25% wool | skein 100 gr/143 yards
  • Colors: green (#3335), grey (#0256) and cream (#0389)

Processed with VSCOcam with f1 preset

Advertisements