A crazzzy project that I started in the early Spring of 2014. I saw this beautiful as-we-go stripey blanket, and decided to do my own. King size. Yes, no less.
Today, almost one year later, I have decided to quit this blanket as I would never use it on my own bed anyway. Also after such a long break first because I needed to order new colors then because I was suffering from my shoulder/elbow, I don’t feel it anymore. Instead, I will create a blanket for the guest bedroom, following another [much simpler] pattern, using the same yarn [Double Knit Special by Stylecraft – skeins of 100 gr/295 m | 100% premium acrylic]. Now that I am more experienced, surely it will turn out beautifully.
My original blanket of 402 chains, as shown in the slideshow below, included:
- puff stitches in pale rose (#1080)
- a row of DC in burgundy (#1035)
- row of DC in spring green (#1316)
- 2 rows of lemon peel stitches in Candy floss (#1230)
- Catherine Wheel stitches have been added with a bigger crochet
- 3 rows of Granny Squares stitches
- weavie stitch
- granite/moss stitch
- linen stitch [I think for row #42]
- and some ‘bullet holes’ like my daughter like to call those paint splashes ….
There are so many patterns out there that it is hard not to find one you don’t like! This is the pattern of a throw I found, posted on my favorite Facebook page. And I will use the twist that Lynn Hinton Roth [Stylecraft double knit Special] and Patricia A McKay added to theirs [see respective pictures below].
Here is their secret revealed:
- follow the Attic 24 by Lucy pattern for two rows US DC (UK treble)
- then 2 rows of the granny stitch and, per the pattern, repeated it over & over.
Here is how mine is going along [for my guest bedroom bed] – project totally frogged [2/18/2016] … see my wonderful blanket.
After the big failure of Kaidan’s first blanket [that he never received], I had to give it another shot. Once again, I had seen a beautiful pattern from Crochet Caché and decided to go cotton. Well cotton, as previously noticed with my potholders, is not as popular as you would think in dear Atlanta. To my huge surprise, Hobby Lobby has a pretty decent selection. After spending ages in the dedicated aisle, I picked ‘I love this cotton!’ [made in Turkey] in skeins of 100 gr.
I always have a hard time picking the colors. But pretty quickly, I decided for turquoise (#70), bright citrus (#100), white (#6) and dark denim (#306).
I started this much more easier project that I planned to wrap up in a short time. Well, poor Kaidan, the job got interrupted. Again. This time, because of a left arm issue: a crochet-elbow and let’s diagnose it as the beginning of a frozen shoulder [trust me, it was more complicated than that].
After repair, I went back to action and finished Kaidan’s blanket. And don’t ask me why I called it Cotton Field.
Details for Cotton Field
- 163 ch wide (about 112 cm)
- 5.5 mm hook
- “I love this cotton!” from Hobby Lobby | turquoise (#70), bright citrus (#100), white (#6) and dark denim (#306)
- Based on a pattern from Crochet Caché: Peaceful Stripes Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern – Video tutorial
- My stitches: back loop DC but I did add a line of Slip Stitch to remove a bit of the elasticity.
For Kaidan, I had found this patchwork blanket by Bernat Design Studio on Ravelry… All excited about this new venture, I went to a small local shop – Needle Nook – to purchase the same colors as showed on the picture. Well good luck with that … Instead, I came back home with a small fortune of Plymouth Yarn in green, grey and cream. A lovely combination for a little boy.
Playing around, I first struggled to place the colors in the right sequence. Luckily, Arno came to the rescue and, even draw the pattern on a piece of paper for future use.
Well as easy as it seemed, this project became quickly a nightmare for the beginner I was.
At the time, I was still at my early stages of crochet. My art was pretty uneven, the number of requested stitches were usually inaccurate. And creating exactly the same squares was not my cup of tea. After a few attempts of following the instructions, I decided to work by row of squares and to make it my ‘own’ by joining them with a ‘spike‘ stitch. At the end, I would only have to join the lenght of the stripes to make the blanket.
To add to the pain, my work having been interrupted numerous times and, with some memory loss, I started to use different hooks (3) for this project. The result turned into a true catastrophe. Disappointed and frustrated, as there was no way for me to start over, I decided to turn the stripes into scarves (see other blog post on that topic).
Anatomy of the disaster
- hook (supposed to be a 10 mm)
- Plymouth yard ‘Encore Chunky’ 75% acrylic, 25% wool | skein 100 gr/143 yards
- Colors: green (#3335), grey (#0256) and cream (#0389)